2/15/11

school spirit


It feels very small town when your kids go to their dad's alma mater and you wear his letterman's jacket to the big game. It's kind of surreal in L.A. I WISH I had a photo of me wearing my dad's 1940's letterman's cardigan to my (and his) high school which I did back in 1985. I also am wishing for a photo of me wearing mine at that time also. I ordered my black and orange letterman's jacket when I was 15, right before my final growth spurt. Yeah, you guessed it. It doesn't fit me any more. I know you are wondering... I lettered in cross country, field hockey, and track. I'm still really proud, as you can tell.

In the 80's, the 50's were really big. Remember? Remember? Grease anyone? (I know it came out in 1978. I just want to mention at least six decades in this post, and the present decade counts.)


I tried to find some cool images of how other women are wearing letterman jackets in interesting ways, but I only found images of guys! Here is one post from street etiquette that is very nice. In this case, the man is wearing his dad's jacket he found in the attic from... the 80's!! How does that make me feel?!


7 comments:

  1. Love it! And I'm so happy you have a new post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so cool in Evan's jacket. It's sweet. Your his girl. And I'm totally jealous that you had all those letters. Maybe it's ok that you can't find your jacket, and your dad's jacket. You know how if something gets lost it acquires this extra mystique, and it can loom larger in your psyche than if you had it. And then you think about it when you wear Evan's jacket. So then you make a post about it and I read it, and I am stunned. Evan's jacket has taken on the symbolism of these other jackets. Also because if you showed me your jacket, I might not get it, because I feel like I had some letters too when I was on the dive team, but I know I didn't merit anything back then. So I might just look at the jacket and think "oh she has her own jacket with letters on it" without realizing you earned those letters.
    p.s. You might feel a lot of different emotions when you see that man wearing his dad's jacket, but when I clicked to that post, I felt like that guy is a lady killer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Shelayna!
    Pele, yeah that guy is the character in some old east coast novel.
    No, I know right where my dad's sweater AND my jacket are hanging. I was pining for a photo of me in 1985 wearing them. That would be cool. Ya know with braces... and big glasses. Really cute.
    Oh, and yeah, the symbolism. Totally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all of these photos :)
    nice blog:)

    hope you can come by and check out my blog on:
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/2187105/glamourgirl
    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only you could manage to make a letterman jacket look super feminine and something royalty would wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AH, that letterman jacket is adorable!

    x chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  7. look, if i promise to write a new post will you do one? it's time. c'mon, it's time. i KNOW there is a backlog of at LEAST 7 reaaaally good stories and i for one want to read them.

    ReplyDelete